Re: MOO Meeting 970305

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 97 11:54:37 -0800

hno@hem.passagen.se writes:

>Duane, is it possible to add a new ICP operation to invalidate objects,
>without breaking existing ICP implementations? And will even this be
>enought? What about large hierarchies?

Issues I have with ICP invalidation:

   1) UDP is unreliable. Do you require ACKs of the invalidation?

   2) Would you establish a peer relationship with someone who had
      the power to invalidate your entire cache?

      My cache access lists currently accept ICP from hundreds of
      subnets around the world. How can I trust the invalidation is
      legitimate?

   3) How do you limit the scope? Does a single PUT at one
      cache cause a flood of invalidation messages all over
      the world?

Practially speaking, we could ad an opcode and it would be
ignored by caches running prior versions.

Duane W.