Re: unlink bottleneck

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 05:49:43 +0800 (HKT)

Hello,

Duane Wessels wrote:
> #3 is easy and should work well. The store_clean.c routines
> will clean up unused files so the swap directories dont grow to
> huge lengths. truncate() may take just as long as unlink()
> but it should win on later open() calls.

When do we clean up the directories?

> #2 is pretty easy too. I have mostly working code from Mark Treacy
> to already do it. I would probably add a FIFO of unused file numbers
> as well so we can pass files to unlinkd without worry they will be
> reused again quickly.

FIFO the data structure or FIFO the IPC construct?

> #4 Stew's patch has been incorporated into Squid 1.2.x. His
> implementation requires linking with a POSIX threads library. Maybe
> not ultra portable?

What's the schedule on 1.2? Is the code base diverging into
1.1-stable and 1.2-beta?

> Other comments? Is #2 something that people would like to have
> in squid-1.1?

No, I think 1.1 should just be bug fixes and new stuff get into 1.2.
Your thoughts?

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <map@iphil.net>                              +63-2-893-0850
iphil communications, makati city, philippines          <http://www.iphil.net>