Re: replacing ICMP pinging with SONAR

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 97 09:08:47 -0800

map@iphil.net writes:

>Hi,
>
>Sorry for the late response - I only got interested in SONAR again only now.
>It looks good so far, I'm going to try it out and see if it's applicable
>for a possible sub-project - a SONAR client that will direct web browsers
>to the appropriate mirror web server. The mirrors are Squid in accel
>mode, of course. :)

Since I originally looked at SONAR I've found a couple reasons to
NOT replace the 'pinger' with SONAR. One is that Squid would lose
the ability to send source pings at ICMP packets. The other reason
is that SONAR only defines the message format between a SONAR server
and client. It does not (yet) define how the metric is calculated.
So, in general, it is not possible to compare two SONAR metrics
from two SONAR servers (for the same destination).

Duane W.