possible problem with gettimeofday

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:37:06 +0200 (GMT)

Hi

I have been trying to get our be server to fall over by opening hundreds of
connections to it... (I have been having problems with linux's limit
on filehandles). I found a "hackerz" program that opens any amount of
connections to a server (I know, very simple code)...
All it does is open them, never actually sends or requests any data.

I midified it a little and every time squid fell over. I then tried
on a FreeBSD machine, and it didn't fall over, but the load
on the machine went crazy - a ktrace showed that it was doing thousands
of "gettimeofday" calls....

Normal?

>From the first guess, it seems that squid walks through all of the
filehandles calling gettimeofday for each of them...

squid 1.1.9 with patches, FreeBSD 2.2.something

I don't have time to look at it, I am afraid, and our caches aren't so
loaded that it causes major problems.

        Oskar

'experience made art, but inexperience luck.'