Re: comparison of the NOVM version

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:24:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Oskar Pearson:

>> I'm not sure it helps much, and it gives very screwy mallocinfo percentages.
>hmm. As far as I know the new FreeBSD libc's all use dlmalloc.... Is anyone
>out there using FreeBSD 2.2 having problems?

As far as I know FreeBSD's malloc implementation (for 2.2 and higher) is
called phkmalloc (PHK are the initials of the author). I'm not sure
whether dlmalloc is another name for the same thing.

I recently did a test with FreeBSD 2.2.1 on an HP Netserver LH Pro (PP200,
160MB RAM) and was very impressed with the performance. I'm now working
with BSD/OS 3.0 on the same hardware and although they are both BSD4.4
derived, FreeBSD's totally redesigned VM system seems to give significant
improvements for applications like Squid.

To answer the question: no I didn't have problems with FreeBSD 2.2.1.

Arjan