Re: copy-on-write

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:53:42 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 2 Jun 1997, Duane Wessels wrote:
> Asynchronous I/O thanks to Stewart Forster.
> Persistent/Pipeline connections between client<->squid
> FTP now handled internally, no more ftpget.
> Accepting HTTP connections on multiple ports
> Lots of code/implementation cleanup.
> Reworking the store.c module so there is middle ground
> between the "VM" and "NOVM" models (in progress).
>
>As of right now, there are still some serious bugs, but I should
>have a version out sometime this week.

Will some version of the "delay hack" used around WA find its way into the
main squid sources? I should have the 1.1.10.ucs patch up on
ftp.uwa.edu.au in /pub/squid later today (1.1.9.ucs has a couple of minor
buglets, and 1.1.10.ucs introduces a new control). This would allow
people to do things like:

  * administrative control of child cache fetch rates on local ether

  * as http-accel: bandwidth limit what user web pages cost

  * limit incoming fetches to 28k (or 33k) per modem client

  * reduce/limit the cost of students or client networks on local ether or
    over dialups

  * limit some clients to prioritize more important clients

and so on. We use the controls quite extensively at UWA, and Murdoch use
a couple of the controls and just set the others rather high.

David.