Re: possible Squid future

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:58:33 +0200 (GMT)

Martin Hamilton wrote:

> I was just thinking that C may not be the best language to be writing
> this sort of code in, for all the usual reasons.
> Do people think it would be a worthwhile exercise to, as a test case,
> translate dnsserver and/or ftpget into another language ? For extra
> bonus points... which language would you choose and why ? :-)
I think that we should stick with C... It would be fun to put it in
perl, but I don't know if it's feasable.

> PS Personally I'd be quite keen on seeing how well Perl performed,
> being a long time Perl dabbler. Scores: good on productivity and ease
> of bug fixing/introducing (new features) but probably bad on
> performance ? Possibly not a serious problem for this application,
> where network latency is the performance killer...

We are trying to integrate the ftp process into the core squid code
so that we can avoid doing "fork"s all the time for ftp processes.
Currently our servers (we load balance between 3 servers) running NOVM
do about 1000 forks every day between them... I suppose that it would be
possible to do a "pre-forking" perl script (I don't fancy loading perl
1000 times a day) but I don't know if it would be better than trying to
integrate the stuff into the core squid code.

        Oskar