Re: Last-Modified vs. Expires

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 13:40:37 -0700 (PDT)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Sorry I'll never convince anyone else in the apache group to set the
last-modified by the date of the base file in the default configuration.
There are too many sites which do crap like:=20

You are visitor number N

The date is XXXXXXX

<!--#include virtual=3D"ad-generator.cgi"-->

and so on. I understand from your point of view that these changes are
meaningless, and I agree. In our experience, nobody reads any
documentation. Nobody reads the FAQ. And worst of all, nobody bothers to
search our bug database before submitting a bug. So this would only
result in us answering lots o' bugs. It's a sad state, but that's just
how it is.=20

I'm still working on the automatic generation of last-modified when
possible. I ran into some hitches with the apache api... I hope to work
around them before feature freeze for 1.3.

Dean

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Some thoughts on SSI and Last-Modified:
>=20
> I beleive that a resonable default behaviour (for people thar don't
> care) is to set last-modified to the time of the base file, and having
> this well documented in the SSI configuration documentation.
>=20
> Then use configuration options and/or hacks/modules to change this
> behaviour, possibly utilizing some x flags or similar to turn off
> Last-Modified on certain pages. But I beleive that the content provider
> should be required to do some work to disable caching, and that this
> should require enought reading so that the provider known what a cache
> is, and why pages should be cached ;-)
>=20
> ---
> Henrik Nordstr=F6m
>=20
> Dean Gaudet wrote:
> >=20
> > The default is .html is static, and the admin has to enable .shtml
> > (or whatever extension they want) to get mod_include to start working.
> > mod_include's default is no Last-Modified. You have to enable XBitHack
> > full and chmod g+x the files to get Last-Modified.
>=20

--MimeMultipartBoundary--