Re: thoughts on memory usage...

From: Redfern Ian <RedfernI@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:24:00 +0100

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Michael Pelletier wrote:
>Given MD5 code in Squid, it might also open the door to MD5 hashing of
>document/image contents, so that mirror sites would not wind up with
>redundant data in the cache.

Worth thinking about. My cache currently shows zero Content-MD5 headers
received in the 200,000 parsed today, even though Apache now supports
it, so clearly nobody is using it yet on their servers to be helpful to
caches.

It would certainly be nice if Squid could remove duplicate objects in
its own cache by calculating their content checksums (maybe without the
headers?), and most caches have CPU to spare. Imagine having only one
stored copy of that "Netscape Now" button. You'd still need the metadata
of course - and the headers as well, to be able to reproduce exactly.
And you'd still have to fetch the object if the server didn't give you
Content-MD5.

Similarly, it could be used for ICP, particularly when doing IMS-type
queries. Isn't this what ETags are all about in HTTP 1.1?

Ian Redfern (redferni@logica.com).