Re: thoughts on memory usage...

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:51:16 -0700 (PDT)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Redfern Ian wrote:

> Worth thinking about. My cache currently shows zero Content-MD5 headers
> received in the 200,000 parsed today, even though Apache now supports
> it, so clearly nobody is using it yet on their servers to be helpful to
> caches.

It's computationally expensive to compute MD5s for all content.
Until/unless Apache gets some sort of "cached metadata" concept I doubt
anyone will turn this on. Right now to send Content-MD5 it has to
regenerate it on the fly. There's other metadata that would be nice to
cache (such as a defalted version of the object). So it might happen. It
is something that could be implemented as a module by an interested party.

> Similarly, it could be used for ICP, particularly when doing IMS-type
> queries. Isn't this what ETags are all about in HTTP 1.1?

ETags are valid only in the context of the object they were returned for
(so you can't compare an ETag from /foo and /bar).

Dean

--MimeMultipartBoundary--