Re: Helpful to caches...

From: k claffy <kc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:39:05 -0700

--MimeMultipartBoundary

doesn't the Cache-Now site already have this?

http://vancouver-webpages.com/CacheNow/
http://www1.iphil.net/~map/cache/breakers.html

also related stuff on DW's cache reading list
http://ircache.nlanr.net/Cache/reading.html

  On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Redfern Ian wrote:

> Worth thinking about. My cache currently shows zero Content-MD5 headers
> received in the 200,000 parsed today, even though Apache now supports
> it, so clearly nobody is using it yet on their servers to be helpful to
> caches.

  I've run across a couple of situations where it doesn't seem that there's
  a prevailing attitude of helpfulness towards caches.

  For example, one site that has mini photos that change daily within the
  same filename (Jerusalem Post) isn't putting "Expires" headers on them,
  and since I extended my refresh rules for images, I was winding up with
  photos from two days ago, and when I suggested that they change the names
  of the files, or put expires headers on them, I was politely rebuffed.
  (Maybe someone else can suggest Expires headers to them...)

  And then there's Microsoft's attitude towards caches, etc.

  Perhaps us Squid folks and the Apache folks could get together and write a
  primer on caching and how to configure your web site to be helpful towards
  caches, for distribution with the Apache code.

          -Mike Pelletier.

--MimeMultipartBoundary--