Re: thoughts on memory usage...

From: Srecko Tahirovic <srecko.tahirovic@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:26:30 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hello!

> Well, agreed. A new ICP query which talked with MD5/HSA sum instead
> of URL to compatible caches would work. But recieving an old ICP
> query you have to do the MD5/HSA hash (cheap on small strings) - not
> a problem. The point I was making was that I wouldn't want to check
> an on-disk URL for every ICP query.

I don't see why we should check the on-disk URL. If we had hash of all
URLs, we would simply create hash for new ICP (if it had URL) and then
check if we already have such hash. Then send HIT/MISS.

When that cache would want that URL (over http), we would have to
open the file and send it to that cache. Since both request and file
(first line would be URL) would have URL, it (or receving cache) could
compare if the file is what it asked.

Soo. You get fast ICP (basicly check for hash) and one more line in
header to check (when doing http).

Or have I overlooked something?

--MimeMultipartBoundary--