Re: thoughts on memory usage...

From: Redfern Ian <RedfernI@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:03:00 +0100

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Brian Denehy wrote:
>I need to dig out and rerun some work that Martin Hamilton and I both
ran
>about fifteen months ago which looked at duplicate objects in the
cache. At
>that stage I concluded it was not worth the savings to remove the
duplicate
>objects.

Calculating MD5 checksums on the contents (ignoring headers) of my 6Gb
cache, I find only 342,773 of the 382,947 objects are unique - about 10%
is duplication. Is this worth saving? Note that we would still have to
keep the headers, which are a significant part of the common small
objects.

There are over two thousand copies of ads from AltaVista Europe, which
I'm now going to mark uncacheable (they have URLs like
http://ad.altavista.telia.com/ad_image;time=1997.08.20.10.58.25.938&site
=g2-i.altavista.telia.com&spacedesc=/front&country=gb).

There are 297 Netscape Now!s and 241 MS IEs (seems like Netscape is
still ahead), 125 RSACs and over a thousand single pixel transparent
GIFs of four different flavours.

And 219 copies of the text '404 Object Not Found'.

Ian Redfern (redferni@logica.com).