Re: thoughts on memory usage...

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:27:03 -0400 (EDT)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Oskar Pearson wrote:
> There are various 'political' advantages to not doing this now... most
> of them hang around allowing the internet-drafts for ICP to
> actually become standards, and make the world a better place. If we make
> drastic changes to ICP now, this probably wont' happen, and if we
> bring out a new version of ICP very shortly after making the current
> version a standard, we cause more problems. The good standards (nntp,
> ftp,http,smtp) haven't changed... almost ever. Of course, squid has always
> been far ahead of the other cache software, and for the most part
> hasn't been able to talk to them except through the
> 'lowest common denominator', http.

Oskar, NNTP & SMTP certainly have changed -- the article thread exchanging
commands that were introduced by TRN used the "X-command" allowance of the
NNTP standard for commands like "XOVER", "XTHREAD", and so on. SMTP has
"ESMTP" where the extensions are negotiated at connection time.

So, you wouldn't necessarily need to make drastic changes to ICP, just
some backwards compatible extensions to it.

        -Mike Pelletier.

--MimeMultipartBoundary--