Re: apache style squid?

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:00:18 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi

> > The select() library call would also need to be recompiled with a
> > different FD_SETSIZE - it's set to 1024. (That's _why_ we did the poll()
> > stuff). Unless the select man page is lying, this still isn't fixed in 2.6.
>
> Maybe you're right, and I said AFAIK. But I don't see why select() should care
> about FD_SETSIZE on Solaris. All it operates with is number of files passed
> to it. It is macros FD_SET, FD_CLR etc. that depends on this and apps allocating
> enough space for FD array. man page says you should define larger FD_SETSIZE
> before including types.h, I can't find where it says select() cannot cope with
> more than 1024 files?

I know from linux that the reason Linus won't increase the FD limits
substantially is because some badly-written programs break. Supposedly they
allocate a space big enough for 'FD_SETSIZE' when they are compiled, and then
try and fill it with the values returned from getrlimit and co.. and
end up scribbling over random data... (seems like a silly programming
idea to me)

Oskar

--MimeMultipartBoundary--