pre-opening TCP connections

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 01:20:05 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi

Someone has been trying to get us to by a 'Shiva PowerSurf' box...

It's "patent pending" (which means their techies will say "It's patent
pending" whenever they don't know or don't care, it seems)

It seems that when you connect to a site it either scans the contents
of the HTML to get a list of all links on the page and then opens
TCP connections to each of them, or it simply connects to the same
site with an 'empty pipe' just in case the next graphic/connection goes
to the same site.

This supposedly increases BW usage by 4%, but reduces latency dramatically.

I don't suggest that we do the same thing in squid, but what about
having an option so that when you setup a parent it opens a few connections
to the TCP port 'for future connections' to reduce the latency? Yes I know
'persistent connections' would fix this, but if you have a parent
that doesn't support this it might be useful. Eventually we could
change the number of 'threads' to the remote server depending on load.

Oskar

--
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -