Re: some profiling info

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 00:15:00 +0100 (CET)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Oskar Pearson:

>Perhaps it's time we had a 'statd' (like unlinkd)? Note that 'oldselect'
>is the same as 'select'. On that topic - why are there unlink calls at
>all?

I had a quick look at the source and the stat system call is mainly used
during starting and stopping Squid AFAIK, especially when the swaplog file
has to be rebuild. So these stat results look a little bit strange to me.

I'm working on an updated and improved version of my Squid timing patch.
What I see on a very busy cache (100,000 conns/hour) is that open(2) is
*the* bottleneck (50-60% of the time :-() and we should have something
like an opend or seperate processes which do all disk I/O so Squid doesn't
stop during blocking disk operations.

>[root@cache1 /root]# time strace -c -p 2098
>% time seconds usecs/call calls errors syscall
> 80.39 376.869164 5144 73263 1584 stat

Arjan

--MimeMultipartBoundary--