Re: conflict of interest

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 97 08:29:18 -0800

andre@ml.ee writes:

>> Anyway, Kostas is working on adding hit metering into Squid and today
>> we realized that hit metering will become very difficult when the
>> cache key is one-way hash of the URL. When we need to purge
>> an object, we're supposed to make a HEAD request for the URL to
>> report the hits. But we won't have the URL any more.
>
> Why not do that when verifying object and do purge silently?

It is possible that I could accrue many hits on some object without
needing to verify it. The draft states that when we purge and object
we are supposed to report the hits.

> We also can keep hash->url translations in a dbm file.

How well does that perform? How many non-blocking reads/writes
per second can Squid do on a dbm file?

>> In fact, hit metering will require quite a bit of additional overhead
>> for every object. In addition to some four integer counters, the draft
>> requires that hits be reported back to the source of the object, and
>> not necessarily the origin server. So we'd have to remember which
>> neighbor gave us each object. ick.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> remembering neighbors is bad. By the time we want to report, neighbor
> might be well dead for a while.

I agree, but those are the rules....

Duane W.