Re: [Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net: persistant ftp]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 01:36:03 +0100

--MimeMultipartBoundary

> Has anyone examined the idea of making the ftp connections a little mor=
> persistent?

I gave it some thoughts earlier this year... but found that it was
almost impossible when using the ftpget slave process.

It is possible to keep persistant FTP connections, if the new request
begins with the same CWD commands.

* A request for another file in the same directory
* A request for a subdirectory of the last directory
* A request for a file in a sub directory...

It is not possible to cache FTP connections that require a different
sequence of CWD commands.

So after a a request like this

ftp://some.server/some/directory/

is is possible to reuse the control connection for

ftp://some.server/some/directory/file1
ftp://some.server/some/directory/file2
ftp://some.server/some/directory/subdir/
ftp://some.server/some/directory/subdir/file3

but not for

ftp://some.server/some/other/directory/

And of course this applies recursively, so after the ../subdir/ request
is is not possible to reuse the control connection for another sub
directory

ftp://some.server/some/directory/subdir2/

And now that we have "native" FTP in squid, this should be much easier
to implement, but first let the "native" FTP implementation be fully
tested...

---
Henrik Nordstr=F6m
--MimeMultipartBoundary--