Re: object oriented Squid ?

From: Kostas Anagnostakis <kostas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:16:36 -0800 (PST)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On the other hand, IMHO, OO is the programming technology of the
> future so why not to "push the envelope"? :)
>

> Any comments?

Oh, I was almost *dreaming* of OO- squid. I don't think a jump from C
to C++ is hard at all given a comprehensive design, it would more be a
learn-by-example thing.
I would like to push our luck even further: OMG's CORBA allows for
multi-platform, protocol-less, low-overhead development
of distributed applications (see http://www.omg.org).
The framework consists of a "software-bus" for inter-object communication,
called the Object Request Broker (ORB), a protocol for communicating
object requests which for IP networks is called IIOP and an interface
specification language (IDL) which provides awareness for interfaces
between objects and can be mapped to Java, C, C++, SmallTalk etc.
This would allow for a modularized squid, with components written in
Java,C,C++, transparently located wherever we want them to. Start-up cost
is very low and ORB implementations are becoming stable, fast and popular.
Additionaly, CORBA's base protocol, IIOP, could also be used for inter-
cache communication as it has at least the characteristics an inter-cache
protocol should have (persistent-connections, redirection, flexibility
etc).

talking of dreams ;-)

-Kostas

--MimeMultipartBoundary--