Re: object oriented Squid ?

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:42:09 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi

> is that c++ is way cool
> if you're willing to spend the effort
> and are more interested in a software engineering endeavor
> than a high performance code
> but i get the impression
> that c++ can really cost you

> that worries me
> and until i hear real-life ISP-code
> experience narratives o/w
> i'm inclined to paranoia

Agreed here... all the 'large scale internet projects' are C rather than C++

Linux (the biggie)
FreeBSD
Bind
INN

and of course
Squid

The ones that are C++ are normally gui-type programs - like KDE etc. Things
like jigsaw (from www.w3.org) are really the exceptions.

In my (VERY humble) experience:
OO programming can work where you have someone that sits and works
out all the relationships between the objects beforehand. You need someone

> www.cygnus.com/www.isc.org/elsethings are possibilities
hmm.... wierd url :)

> but doesn't have the resources
> and likely won't get them from taxes much longer :(

Wasn't the Internet Software Consortium (www.isc.org) founded with
exactly this sort of thing in mind? Given Paul Vixie's involvment in
www.mirror-image.com and www.isc.org isn't there some chance that
they may be willing to add squid to their 'commercially supported programs'
and possibly get 'DW-2' (or even just 'DW') to support it with some
kind of real return at the end of each month?

Oskar

--
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -