Re: object oriented Squid ?

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:43:33 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi

> OK, let's see (citations from the corresponding documentation on the Web):
> Linux: "created as a hobby ... in 1991",

> Looks like all these were designed well before C++ and OO-ness matured
> enough. Cool folks that were behind these projects could not use C++ even
> Now, you may say that they could switch to C++ in 1997. This is true, and
> maybe they should have, and maybe they or [more likely] their future
> derivatives will.

People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Linus has been known to work through the assembly code of the kernel
and do funny stuff like insert GOTO's to speed up the code... so he
doesn't like C++ - it's not suited to what he wants to do.

When you are optimising at the bytecode level you don't want things
creating instances and destroying themselves...

I had some interesting mail somewhere from Davem about optimisation,
but this might be relevant:

http://www.geog.ubc.ca/s_linux/mail/msg03027.html

Basically: Davem does the 'step through assembly' thing too...