Re: 1.2b8: Disk based URL [preleminary patch]

From: Bertold Kolics <bertold@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 12:01:16 +0100 (MET)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi,

Henrik: maybe you forgot to attach the patch... Or is it located on your
personal squid page?
The patch - in its current state - modifies only the swap log file. Am I
right?

>In the future we should check that the URL is what we think it is when
>we swap-in a object from disk. The disk-based URL can be used in
>hit-metering as well. As we said before there is no need to have the URL
>in memory when using SHA or MD5 as store key.

This data could be useful after restarting the cache, since at the restart
process timestamp information are lost which primarily influence the LRU
algorithm.

>Hmm.. when thinking about this a bit more, I have made the conculsion
>that this should probably not be done in this way. The metadata should
>instead be saved as internal HTTP headers, and filtered before delivered
>to the client.

Yes, yes, yes! I would like to see that! This would be simple and the
headers used can be easily extended! This approach could help even the
background storage processing as well.

Cheers,
Bertold

--MimeMultipartBoundary--