Re: Patch for beta13 prerelease for store.c

From: Stewart Forster <slf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 14:12:32 +1100

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hiya,

        What's happened to beta13?!?!

        It looks like the store directory's swap logs never get opened.
This causes the storeDirSwapLog() calls to fail 'cos they're trying to write
to un-opened files.

        Also the storeDoRebuildFromSwapFiles looks hideous in the
performance stakes. While it's a decent last resort effort, it's going to
REALLY impact. Opening up and reading the headers from 2M+ files in a large
cache is going to take an enourmous amount of time, not to mention load up
the disks a great deal.

        Bring back the old style swap.state files please. We can validate
objects happily once they're opened, and maybe do the rebuld from swap files
when it REALLY ONLY necessary, but please don't let this be the norm. It
will make squid unusable for large sites. I cannot stress this strongly
enough. The patches I sent in for transaction-based swap.state files when
coupled with the removal of the unused fileno stack made things clean for
clean restarts, and acceptably clean for dirty restarts (about 20 bad file
mismitches ONLY during state readin).

        I don't object to rebuilding from swap files, but only as a final
last ditch effort.

        If a performance increase is what you're after by not logging to
thw swap.state files, then I can write a thread to handle that specifically
so squid doesn't have to worry about it as I appreciate that the current
pseudo-thread implementation leaves a little to be desired.

        Stew.

--MimeMultipartBoundary--