Re: Peculiar...

From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 00:44:55 -0800 (PST)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Michael O'Reilly wrote:

> In message <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.980217003453.3454A-100000@twinlark.arctic.org>, De
> an Gaudet writes:
> > On 17 Feb 1998, Michael O'Reilly wrote:
> >
> > > Why are the 3 second response times coming up? They keep on appearing
> > > at irregular intervals.
> >
> > access times on inodes being flushed back to disk?
>
> Always 3 seconds? at irregular intervals? The object is hot, it should
> be being served out of memory... (compiled with --enable-async-io)

It may be reading it from memory, but depending on what unix this is it
may also be flushing that inode rather fast. In particular if it's a busy
proxy then it may have reach some internal limit that says "flush inodes
if we have THIS many dirty".

If it's recent linux or freebsd then try mounting your cache disk with
noatime. I doubt you'll miss uptodate atimes...

Just a guess. Usually this shows up at 30s intervals though (ISTR it
being shorter on IRIX... haven't dealt with it in a long time).

Dean

--MimeMultipartBoundary--