Cache Digest: Volunteers needed

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:01:36 -0600 (MDT)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Dear Squid co-users:

We have recently been working on a new neighbor cache object location
protocol (i.e. replacement for ICP). With this scheme, caches exchange
"digests" describing their cache contents. Instead of sending an ICP
query, we check the digests (based on Bloom Filters) and, with some
uncertainty, know whether or not a given object exists in the neighbor
cache.

We intend to present a paper on Cache Digests at the Web Caching
Workshop later this summer. Presently we are gathering statistics on
this protocol with the NLANR caches. For a broader perspective, we are
seeking a small number of non-U.S. sites to run our prerelease version
of Squid (1.2.beta20), and perhaps set up a temporary peering with one
or more of our caches. In exchange for your participation, we offer to
prominently mention your name at the end of our paper (to be published
we hope!), and to give all your squid-1.2 bug reports very high
priority. :)

For more information, please send us a note, and have a look at the web
page describing cache digests:
http://squid.nlanr.net/Cache/CacheDigest/

Duane W.

P.S. Squid 1.2beta20 is available at
ftp://squid.nlanr.net/priv/prerelease/squid-1.2.beta20-src.tar.gz

--MimeMultipartBoundary--