Re: FreeBSD parsing

From: Yee Man Chan <ymc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:35:51 -0400 (EDT)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

My Sun is running in Sparc and my freeBSD is running in Pentium. I am
sorry I misinterpret the gprof result. Here is the correct result:

% of time spent for the top five functions

FreeBSD: (%of time spent in Sun)
1. mcount 19.3% (Is this a function? There is a internal_mcount in Sun
4.3%)
2. select 10.5% (0.29%)
3. _svfscanf 6.2% (no svfscanf in Sun but sscanf is 0.00%)
4. _qdivrem 5.7% (no equilvalent in Sun but _quorem10000 is 0.00%)
5. hash4 5.5% (0.29%)

Sorry for the mistake.
Yee Man Chan

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Oskar Pearson wrote:

> Hi
>

> > I run squid 1.1.20 at FreeBSD 4.4. According to the response time return
> > from client, it is TEN TIMES SLOWER than I run it at SunOS v5. When I
> > compare the result from gprof, I find that squid spent considerably amount
> > of time (22.9%) in parseIntegerValue, decode_addr, aclParseIpData,
> > safe_inet_addr, storeDirClean, urlParse, parseHttpRequest and sscanf at
> > FreeBSD while only 3.7% of time spent in the same trace of code. Can
> > anyone tell me why?
>
> I am assuming that the sun is a sparc... right?
>
> These aren't system call intensive...
>
> Possibilities:
>
> 1) It's something to do with hardware
>
> a) faster memory access in the Solaris box.
> b) larger L2 cache in solaris (probably a few MB instead of 256kb..)
> c) Risc processors are faster at string scanning? (don't know)
>
> 2) It's something to do with the compiler
>
> a) Are you using gcc on both boxes?
> b) Are the optimisation settings the same?
> c) Have you tried 'egcs' on the Intel box - it's LOTS
> faster at certain functions... I think that it exists
> for FreeBSD..
>
> 3) It's something to do with squid
>
> Unlikely - it's the same code, right? There might be
> more efficient ways of doing it on certain architectures, but
> I think that it's normally left to the compiler (unless you
> are Linus Torvalds, or something...)
>
> Oskar
> ---
> "Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
> so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
> a single minute of being alive?" -- Think Twice

--MimeMultipartBoundary--