Re: another new paradigm

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:35:44 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Martin Hamilton wrote:

> Now, grand-central could figure out who's likely to have a given URL
> if they make it a peer - unless the proxy-only model is being used.
> Servers which ask for URLs typically end up caching them later on -
> this is the model used by Mirror Image with their Interceptor/
> Exchange Point cache architecture.

What about the new cache-digests? sounds like the perfect way to inform
the grand central about cached objects...

> The question I've been building up to is - what should grand-central
> return if a requested URL is cached by one of the servers it tracks ?
> I'm thinking that we could do with a new opcode, which I've been
> calling ICP_REDIRECT in my head. What do people reckon to this ?

Whatever we call it a new response opcode, and a query flag to enable it
is needed. On a "remote" HIT it needs to respond with the usual HIT
information + the name of the cache that should be asked.

What should the requesting cache do if it fails to request it from the
returned cache? Should the grand central be notified?

/Henrik

--MimeMultipartBoundary--