Re: Breaking the rules

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:41:32 +0300 (EETDST)

--MimeMultipartBoundary

On 29 Apr 98, at 17:08, Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au> wrote:

> Also, I dislike the 'magic-number' solutions. It makes for minimal code
> alteration, but feels a little too arcane and confusing. Just the
> thought of fielding numerous questions on the operation makes me
> shudder. Some kind of directive or flag to refresh_pattern would seem
> the better option for those.
>
> Comments, thoughts, thrown objects?

 for refresh-rules, IMO, there is a need for something like "weight" or "cost"
 to give preference in caching and keeping on-disks comparing to other
 objects. AFAIK, 1.2 does not store URL's in its index any more, only
 MD5 hashes, so LRU has no criteria to select between otherwise equal
 delete candidates. I'd propose adding some metrics into swaplog that
 gives a hint on the cost of retrieval of object, and adding user-assigned
 weight in refresh-rules which would apply during fetch.

  Andres Kroonmaa mail: andre@online.ee
  Network Manager
  Tallinn, Sakala 19 Pho: +372 6308 909
  Estonia, EE0001 http://www.online.ee Fax: +372 6308 901