Things to do in connection management

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 17:38:56 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

We are not doing a graceful close on client connections. We should use
shutdown() to avoid generating TCP Reset messages.

Suggestion:
When we have sent the last reply, do a shutdown() of our sending side,
and set connection lifetime to a short time (30 seconds for example).
Continue to read data looking for a client close, but defer reading (and
a 0-byte receive window) if we read more than a couple of KB, to avoid
wasting network resources on failing large POST/PUT operations.

The reverse applies to our outgoing connections, we need to constantly
watch for a close and handle the close appropriately even while sending
data. shutdown() is NOT needed on outgoing connections, and should be
avoided as much as possible ;-). This is not a big issue on normal GET
request, but on failing POST/PUT requests it may be. I'll look into this
while working on my body processing.

/Henrik

--MimeMultipartBoundary--