Re: Netscape V3.0.x has persistent connection troubles with Squid 1.2

From: Stewart Forster <slf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 10:10:11 +1000

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi Alex,

> > The patch I sent simply ignores the Keep-Alive request directive
> > coming from a Netscape 3 client, but allows persistant connections between
> > all other kinds of caches/proxies/browsers.
>
> Hm, perhaps I've missed something, but if your decision to ignore
> "keep-alive" is based on User-Agent header alone, then _all_ proxies in the
> request processing chain will ignore "keep-alive" because User-Agent is
> passed through by a proxy unchanged. You might distinguish between
> Proxy-Connection and Connection headers somehow (assuming clients never send
> Proxy-Connection), but I doubt it is a robust solution.

        In fact you are correct. I had assumed that Squid would try to set
up a persistent connection with the next hop regardless of what the client
dictated. ie. client <- non persistent-> squid <- persistent -> web server
I'm not very clued up on persistent HTTP in Squid but that was how I assumed
Squid would have operated rather than letting the client dictating to the
entire connection chain. Of course what I'm suggesting may make no sense
or go against the HTTP 1.1 specification. Is that so? (I know - RTFM) :/

        Stew.

--
Stewart Forster (Snr. Development Engineer)
connect.com.au pty ltd, Level 9, 114 Albert Rd, Sth Melbourne, VIC 3205, Aust.