Re: squid-1.2-SQUIDFS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 15:55:08 +0200

--MimeMultipartBoundary

Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:

> But, using one FD, and mmapping multiple parts of this file/device in
> different places allows for async io without the use of more than
> one filedescriptor per filesystem.

Possibly, if you utilize threads to trigger the needed pagefaults.

But I am afraid that using mmap is not suitable for Squid as it
increases the VM paging and may generate a lot of pagefaults for the
main Squid process as well. The VM based file I/O may push parts of
Squid out on swap unless you have a lot of memory available.

Some OS:es uses VM paging for plain file I/O and have these problems
regardless of what we do (I beleive Solaris is one of them).

/Henrik

--MimeMultipartBoundary--