Re: Memory question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:55:25 +0200

Michael Pelletier wrote:

> What's makes up the difference between the "total accounted memory
> use" figure in the cache manager and the amount of memory use reported
> by the "ps" command? In my cache, there's usually about a 50-60MB
> discrepancy between these two figures.

"accounted memory" is memory that Squid knows where it is used and how
to count it. Unfortunately not every memory allocation in Squid is
accounted.

Another sources for the difference:
* Memory fragmentation
* Free heap. Most memory allocators maintain memory allocations inside
the process and never (or rarely) shrinks the process sice once it has
grown.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker