Re: dnsserver fails when async-io is enabled

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:29:58 +1200

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 08:48:44AM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> gdb is practically useless on a Linux threaded application.. which is a
> big pain when trying to debug async-io related issues.

There are patches to gdb to address this. I've not tried them, but
I'm told they work for the most part. I believe Eric Paire is
actively working on making sure gdb works as it should with threaded
applications under Linux.

> I would not recommend trying Linux threading using other than the latest
> supported version of gnu-libc. I would NOT recommend trying to use
> threads on any version of libc5.X+LinuxThreads.

libc-5.4.33 - yes, its old.
libpthread-0.5 - yes, its also old.

Having said that, I've tweaked both libraries at various times and so
far its working fairly well (well, only 50,000+ hits since its been
running)

     |-squid-watch.sh---squid-+-10*[dnsserver]
     | -squid---16*[squid]

The killer right now will be, a libc routing which isn't thread safe,
but like the resolver code - fortuantely, the dnsservers are in their
own address space and I couldn't find anything else I expect to
break.

I have glibc2 machines here, one is running squid, but not async IO.

-cw