Re: Patch to make Reload into IMS work more sanely

From: Stewart Forster <slf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:58:01 +1000

Hiya,

        Please tell me if I'm correct....

        When doing that patch I discovered that the logging for TCP_IMS_HIT
and TCP_IMS_MISS is actually referring to the requesting client's nature
of a HIT or MISS, and not the responding cache.

That is:

client sends an IMS request with a last-modified date.
cache checks last-modified against date of copy it has.

Roughly (assuming cache's object is not stale):

If client last modified > cache last modified then
        cache returns 304 (Not Modified)
        cache logs TCP_IMS_HIT
else
        cache returns 200 and a copy of the object
        cache logs TCP_IMS_MISS
fi

So an IMS request from a client for a non-stale object in the cache results
in a hit for that cache either way, but the log text says a MISS.

        Stew.