Re: coredumps 1.2.beta23 on hpux 10.20

From: Mark Visser <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 19:31:10 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Duane Wessels wrote:

> Mark Visser writes:
>
> >On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Duane Wessels wrote:
> >
> >> any coredumps recently?
> >>

> >Ok..the weekend is over. Still no crash, it's up since last wednesday, and
> >normally i would have had a crash already (watching 'the pattern').
> >
> >I guess that patch to stat.c fixed something our cache here was suffering
> >from.
> >
> >If you receive another mail on this subject from me it crashed again, if
> >not...this is it.
> >
> >Thanks for the patch & help.
> >
> >and keep up the good work of course..
> >
> >I would (by the way) want to make a suggestion for the next 1.2.beta.
> >Is it possible (with a make install) to move existing old binaries to
> >binary.old, and an option make revert or make uninstall to switch back to
> >old binaries ?
> >This can be handy when trying a new version, and wanting to switch back
> >easily. Some people are a bit afraid i saw to do it manually (the move
> >only squid, not the other binaries).
>
> I'm reluctant to do this. We would have to make .old's for all
> the binaries, the mime.conf, mib.txt, etc.
>
> What I usually do is have multiple copies of the source tree. If
> I want to rever to a previous version I just go to that source
> directory and 'make install'

Exactly the same as i'm doing, but some other people pointed this out to
me. It's the way Samba does it. Not the configs !..only the binaries would
be enough. The configs are most times compatible.
So it would mean a: for i in `ls`; do mv $i $i.old; done and you're there.
But it's up to you ;).

Mark

Mark Visser | Student Civiele Technologie & Management
Calslaan 26 - 31 | E-mail: mark@cal026031.student.utwente.nl
7522 MC Enschede | SNT-mail: mark@snt.utwente.nl
Telephone: 053-4895038 |
Warning: You can get rid of all the bugs by disabling them from the main menu.