Re: mempool patches

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:30:33 +1200

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 03:47:00PM -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> Freeing memory is important in these two cases:
> - reconfigure with a lower mempool limit;

Which you can't do at the moment anyhow, because you drop gobs of
memory on the flaw and they take ages to migrate out to swap, if at
all.

Actually... hot-reconfig. is really desirable for some people,
especially if squid can be made to take swaps out and take them in
whilst still running.

> - supporting mempool limit (other than infinity).

Which would probably be very useful - but if this `limit' is set too
low, surely memory fragmentation is going to become a real concern
because we will have lots of allocations and freeing going on?

> P.S. There were plans to "pool" virtually all dynamic memory
> allocations. This should be kept in mind when deciding if we need
> a mempool limit or not.

At the high end, this sounds fairly reasonable. squid works well with
gobs of memory, and if people expect performance, they should just go
and get gobs of memory. Memory isn't exactly free, but its not that
expensive these days....

-cw