Re: Async I/O on IRIX 6.x?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 15:26:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Alex Rousskov wrote:
> > Yes, I agree that it is a not good idea to interleave async-IOs
> > on the same FD. More importantly, I do not think it is needed.
>
> It is not, and is to my knowledge not currently done either.

Right, when multiple IOs are detected on a FD, the async-code panics and
starts registering that FD with select, effectively "waiting" for a thread to
process the IO that was queued first. Expensive and breaks the async/sync
code separation, IMO.

> If possible one FD should be limited to one thread, but
> this is a very much different async-io design than we have now with
> other sorts of problems, most importantly thread workload balansing.

I think there exist a nice solution to this problem which achieves fairness
and balance without creating extra threads or using select(2). If I have
time, I will try to write it down and test it.

Alex.