Re: General Runtime Information - Requests given to unlinkd

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:22:06 +1200

On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 05:29:21PM -0600, Duane Wessels wrote:

> Henrik Nordstrom writes:

> >Duane, you should get yourself a email reader that follows threads..
> >especially when going thought "old" mail ;-).

<RANT MODE=ADVOCACY>

Real mail-readers can make guesses about this anyway.

http://www.mutt.org/

</RANT>

> Anyway, I believe this race condition (open-before-unlink) could
> happen.

I'm not sure I like they way IPC is done now anyhow... I'd like to
see almost all IPC done via shared memory with more finely grained
locking of objects where possible. Pipes may have to be used to
wake-up sleeping process/threads.

The reason I'd like to see these changes made it to get greater
scalability on the networking side of things for large MP boxes,
obviously, this isn't going to be possible without making
considerable changes so I think it best deferred until 1.3.x.

-Chris