Re: SquidFS

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:30:49 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,

        This goes to the lucky SquidFS developers down there.

        We just have completed a yet another round of Range request support
revision. It became clear that to support Range requests on a decent level,
Squid would have to support storage of partial objects. Current store
interface will not allow that in the foreseeable future.

        Thus, if you want Squid to be able to handle Range requests
efficiently in the future, please consider designing SquidFS appropriately.
As far as I can see, the interface should support queries similar to:

        storeAddObjData(obj_id, buf, start_offset)
        storeGetObjData(obj_id, buf, start_offset)

Where virtually no assumptions about the order of such queries (i.e. the
order of offsets) for a single object should exist. I omit the details, of
course.

        This is just a comment though; if SquidFS interface will not allow
for Range requests support, it would still be a valuable option for Squid, I
guess.

Alex.