Re: Efficient way of enumerating squid contents?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 07:18:46 +0200

Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> Is there already code in there to do this - the dump all object in
> cache for example?

Hmm.. the closest one is perhaps the cache validation that takes place
after the old index file is loaded... it is a "background" process
walking throught the whole cache one object at a time, doing blocking
operations disk on that object.

> Ideally, such an operation should be as quick as possible, but since
> all URLs are storred by hash reference, then a slow process is better
> than nothing.

If you want it quick, then you have to somehow keep the URLs in memory
which we don't since it requires a little bit to much memory for most
uses.

> I'm aware UNIX is sane and knows .ASP != .asp, but sadly some lesser
> OSs don't make this distinction. It also appears that some genetic
> flaw afflicts certain people to make them more likely to choose such
> products and to product content with MiXEd case URLs, so that
> references to the same object result in multiple objects being
> stored.

Yes, but this can easily be "fixed" by using a redirector that rewrites
the URLs according to some ruleset. I see no need to add this to Squid.

Why do you want to change case in header information?

/Henrik