Re: Squid-2.0.RELEASE: cachemgr and proxy_auth [patch]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 00:27:13 +0200

Alex Rousskov wrote:

> You mean "Proxy-Authorization:", right?

Yes.

> If I understand your proposal correctly, you want external program
> to check for cache manager password(s). That may not be a good idea
> for Squids that do not need authentication other than for cache
> manager. Those Squids would have to run one more external process
> (albeit virtually idle one) just to allow occasional cache manager
> queries...

Yes and yes, but I don't think that one extra process is a problem here.
I regard it as more of a problem to have such a inflexible and separate
access control to cachemgr as the current one is.

What about this comromise:

  acl aclname manager <cachemgr_passwd actions, or ANY>
  acl aclname password user:password ..., wildcard (*) user allowed if
only the correct password is required.

and that "manager shutdown" and "manager config" needs to be defined to
be allowed at all (like "method PURGE").

/Henrik