Re: Proposals: default access deny, test acl lists, man page

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:27:22 +1300

> Squid config file allows random access to cache with the default
> config file access.

I was talking to someone about this not long ago, and the argument
they had was that with sendmail (or indeed any open relay) you can
use it very much to your advantage if you are outside the
infrastructure, whereas with squid, the advantages are less clear
cut...

Anyhow, whilst this is try in many circumstances, consider:

   CONNECT internal.mail.host:25 HTTP/0.9

   HELO mrsquid
   MAIL FROM:<>
   RCPT TO:<....>

ie. you can use a squid to connect to a relay you would not otherwise
be able to relay through (because the relay will recognize the squids
incoming address as local).

Anyhow... this was the example I use to get someone to fix their
ACLs, although I'm not sure if it has ever been exploited.

-cw