Re: 2.1.PRE1: Range requests far avay [new limit]

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:25:34 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Yes, changes are required to make the store aware of ranges. In core
> meta data requires one additional flag that marks the object as valid
> but incomplete. And perhaps the major part: Squid needs to be able to
> extract ranges from a incomplete object.

Also note that, in general, you do not know the absolute ranges until you
received first reply. Thus, if a client concurrently requests two ranges, you
have to fetch both and only then decide how to store them and if they
overlap. Should not happen often, but we should code for that anyway.

Of course, everything is possible to implement. It's just that this
particular feature will require a lot of modifications in Squid's core.

Maybe supporting ETags and other features with higher impact should be coded
first? Just a thought.

Alex.