Re: WCCP

From: Chris Wedgwood <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:13:52 +1300

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 05:27:46PM +0900, Ryu Cheol wrote:

> If Cisco would not open WCCP, another one should be made with
> other router/switch vendors? or just policy routing command enough?

To date, policy routing has been sufficient. I'm not sure what
technical advantages WCCP offers -- but it is a hell of a lot easier
to configure on a router/NAS:

        ip wccp enable

        int eth0 ! or whatever
          ip web-cache redirect

The the configuration of all the rest is done from the cache
engine(s) which is a nice idea.

I assume this version of WCCP is a `new and improved' version as the
last one has been reverse engineered and apparently leave much to be
desired...

The nice thing about WCCP though is that the `failure mode' is more
pleasant than with a policy route/route-map.

-cw