More on when to (not) use persistent connections.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 02:25:24 +0100

Duane Wessels wrote:

>> The final line is the interesting one. For a POST request, what
>> use would a keep-alive have? Why should squid send this?
>
> Because Squid might send another HTTP request to that same server.
> Theoretically, connection persistence is entirely unrelated to
> request methods.

Theoretically yes, but there are some security implications of using
persistent connections to any request which is sent to a CGI scripts.
Most servers never check the content-length header returned by CGI
scripts so any person who is allowed to write a CGI script on the server
can theoretically inject false objects for the same server by appending
an extra HTTP reply after the object.

While I agree that this is really a security problem at the origin site,
i think it is yet another reason why we need a way to configure how and
when to use persistent connections (preferaby by using a ACL based
check).

/Henrik