Re: Suggestions for development

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:24:52 +0100

Thanks for your comments.

Garret Krampe wrote:

> 1./ Multiple Request IP addresses configurable by URL (Domain) eg .au
> , .sg etc for shovelling bandwidth

Multi-homed load balancing has been requested before, but I don't think
it will be added to Squid until a suitable implementaiton is contributed
by a user / sponsor.

> 2./ Dedicated file system with high speed indexes
> ie ONE LARGE file on a partition with close packing of data would
> increase storage capacity heaps !

This to has been both requested and discussed a number of times. There
has been some people working on it, but I don't think anyone has made a
working implementation yet which didn't suffer from major drawbacks.
Things may change in the next months / year.

> 3./ Some transparent proxy implimentations limit other networks
> especially end user satellite netowrks using a system with a
> transparent proxy in place.
> It would be great the specify an EXCLUDE IP-ADDRESS range for this
> purpose so that squid ignores these requests from these addresses
> and forwards the requests from the originonal IP address. It may

This really is outside Squid, and is supported by all known transparent
proxy TCP/IP implementations/setups. Squid relies on OS functions/addons
to do the TCP/IP transparency (ip-filter or Linux ipfwadm style).

Also, there is no known TCP/IP transparency package that allows a
application to impersonate a clients IP address. Routing in such an
environment would also be a nightmare. Routing already is a hell in a
selectively transparetly proxied environment as one host selectively
pretends to be other hosts, and if you don't read the right voodo magic
by the right rituals then things can go really bad.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker