Re: In need of a solution - silly MS-proxy & proxy-auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:29:22 +0100

Dancer wrote:

> > >From draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-06, section 13.5.1:
> > The following HTTP/1.1 headers are hop-by-hop headers:
> > . Proxy-Authenticate
> > . Proxy-Authorization

> Hmm. I checked further down in the spec, and it _does_ say that a proxy
> which has no proxy-auth credentials MAY forward the challenge to the
> user, and submit _their_ credentials. Squid obviously does this, and
> MS-proxy obviously doesn't. Both are correct according to that spec. It
> still means I'm screwed though :(

Not exacly. The spec says that an intermediade proxy may relay the
authentication credentials to a cooperating proxy. All challanges MUST
be consumed at each proxy.

I think the correct path is

1. Only forward Proxy-Authorization credentials to peers configured for
cooperating authentication.
2. When receiving a Proxy-Authenticate challange from a peer configured
for cooperating authentication and there is no other means for fetching
the object, then send a Proxy-Authenticate challange to the calling
client as if proxy authentication was required for this proxy (possibly
with a note that it was initiated by the peer).

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker