Re: LFU in squid

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 13:27:25 -0600

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Hmm.. last time I looked it uses what I would call "Modified LRU with a
> bias to expired objects". The code comments speaks about buckets, but
> the code only uses the LRU index.

I stand corrected. Apparently, your "last time" was after mine :) The
general remark is still valid, I think -- we are not doing pure LRU, but
some modification of it. Friday's e-mail seem to imply that he needs to
implement something more "academic" and not just an approximation of LFU...

> It would be interesting to know how much this (current) derivation from
> LRU actually improves things compared to how much resources (CPU power)
> it requires on a heavily loaded cache..

A perfect project for Friday to start with! :)

Alex.