Re: Squid 2.x performance curioisities

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 17:41:34 -0600

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Dancer wrote:

> It was empty at the start of the tests. I've been letting it fill, but
> it's not hit 10% yet, so no...no garbage collection at all.

Note that Unix FS will slow down as disks get full. One may be able to
start filling at 120/sec but may have to decrease the rate to 50req/sec
when the disks are close to full. That is one of the reasons to keep cache
disks only 50% utilized...

Try this: Right after the experiment died at 120/sec. Clear the cache (or
re-point cache_dir to an empty disk) and quickly restart the experiment. If
you get back to 120/sec, it may be the file system playing its dirty tricks
on you...

Alex.

P.S. I assume you've checked "netstat -m" and "netstat -p tcp" for network
related warning signs... :)